Sex Therapy Professionals Search: 

Most qualified sex therapists do not depend on ads in the newspaper, as most professionals have made themselves and their credentials known to other professionals in the community. If you need a sex therapist, you might begin by consulting your family physician, gynecologist or urologist. Ask for a referral to someone your doctor has used confidently in the past. In addition to this, you might be inclined to ask a trusted clergyman for a referral. As you begin to collect information about available resources, you might then wish to turn to the telephone directory Yellow Pages, looking under such headings as “Psychologist,” “Social Workers,” “Marriage and Family Counselors,” and elsewhere. Remember, there is probably no legislative control of the title “Sex Therapist” in your state, so simply finding the title in the phone book does not document that individual’s clinical skills! In all states, however, licensing laws control who can list as a “Psychologist” or as a “Physician.” A small number of states now also restrict the listings of “Social Workers” and/or “Marriage Counselors.”

When calling a professional, be sure to ask questions about qualifications, experience and fees! It is recommended that you call and ask, “Do you have a specialty?” rather than stating, “I have a sex problem – can you help?”

Perhaps the most useful referrals will come from other knowledgeable professionals within your community. However, it is also helpful to be able to discover which therapists belong to recognized national professional associations having high membership requirements and enforcing rigid codes of ethics.